Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Joomla ~ Day 1

Finding other MLIS 7505 blogs on-line shows many frustrated students. Many didn't like the Joomla part of their Maymester. It's tempting to take a selfish day or two off after completing all the work assigned for the first few days. NAH! Bollocks to all that kinda barmy brain talk.

Keep pounding away, I say.

Early in day one Joomla shows it could turn out to be fun. The instructional videos are proving invaluable so far. Taking time to patiently watch each one with an open mind is taking almost all of the fear and intimidation out of it. Having an English bloke who co-founded Joomla leading the instruction helps too. Probably a good idea to take his advice and watch the first view videos before jumping in prematurely.

I'm not the biggest Microsoft Windows fan, but I love them for moments like these for introducing the SNAP dual screen feature that others have since adopted. It really makes following along and plinking along to video instructions so much easier.

If anyone is reading this and is a bit unnerved by the prospect of website building, don't be. Take a deep breath, close out the world and take the time to watch the videos. And not just watch them but give them your attention. It'll work out.

Buona Fortuna!!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the advice! I haven't had a chance to watch the videos yet since I'm at work, but I was beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed when reading the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep a positive outlook and move forward. We need to be the support system for each other in the course and posts such as this are exactly that. Thanks for the well wishes and good advice John. -- Although, I did have to Google what Buona Fortuna means.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the words of encouragement, John. I've watched all the Joomla videos and feel pretty good about what I want to do, but was starting to get worried reading about everyone else's frustrations. This weekend I'm visiting family for the holiday and don't have much of an internet connection, so we'll see how programming goes... I need more wishes of Buona Fortuna! Have an awesome holiday yourself.

    ReplyDelete